Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A Pie Slice of Justice

Over the course of my college career, I have often wondered to myself, "Why on earth am I a Sociology major? What made me choose it?"

I believe I had an answer yesterday during my senior seminar class. Professor Singu was talking in his usual manner at the beginning of class and said something that really caught my attention. "Sociology is the study of inequalities."

Now I've heard definitions of Sociology, I mean heck it's my major in college and I've only taken like eight or nine classes for it or something, but this one...this one was different. Inequality. Why would this particular word speak so loudly out of the rest of the words being used? What was so different when I heard this word?

I'd like to think it may have quite a lot to do to a commitment of justice that I try to live in my lifestyle. This is infact part of three important commitments, which are constant prayer, deep hospitality, and justice (something I learned from one of my incredible mentors and dear friend Dr. Elaine Heath).

If I am committed to justice, then wouldn't studying the disparities and inequalities of society be an almost perfect fit for me to study? Hah! I can't believe I never thought of this before. That nearly traveling through an entire journey of the college life, it took me to the beginning of my senior year to figure out why I would study a subject that you generally need a master's degree in to actually use.

How strangely perfect.
How interestingly placed.
How delightfully wondrous.

I feel ending with this quote is appropriate

"When it all goes quiet behind my eyes, I see everything that made me flying around in invisible pieces. I see that I'm a little piece of a big big universe."- Hushpuppy

No comments:

Post a Comment